vicious

vicious
vicioux

Monday, July 25

Shylock's speech (Merchant of Venice)



to bait fish withal
if it will feed nothing else it will feed my revenge
he hath disgraced me and hindered me half a million
laugh at my losses mocked at my gains
scorned my nation thwarted my bargains
cooled my friends heated mine enemies
and what is his reason?
i am Jew hath not a jew eyes hath not a jew hands organs dimensions senses
affection passion fed with the same food
hurt with the same weapon subject to the same diseases
healed with the same means
warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as christian is?
if you prick do we not bleed? if you tickle us do we not laugh
if you poison us do we not die and if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

if we are like you in the rest we will resemble you in that
if a jew wrong a christian what is his humility? revenge
if a christian wrong a jew what should his sufferance be by the christian example? why? revenge!
the villainy you teach i will execute
and it shall go hard but i will better the instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment